Friday Favorites

Friday, January 16, 2015

Ikat

Ikat is a pattern created by resist dyeing the threads before weaving into a fabric.  

Ikat print has been on my radar for quite sometime now.  From a design perspective, I find the technique interesting.  The most common form of ikat calls for only the warp (up and down) or weft (left to right) threads to be dyed.  This creates the "smudgey" effect of found in ikat prints.  However, both warp and weft threads can be dyed to create a double ikat print.  This form is less common and more costly.

One of my favorite college courses was about fabrics and print making.  I loved learning about fabrics from different cultures and how they came about.  

I'll admit, I was a little intimidated by this print at first.  Usually it is found in bright, bold colors; but I'm seeing more and more in muted neutrals and toned down color schemes.  Traditionally, in Indian and Asian cultures reds and golds and blues are used.  The ikat pattern that you see today is a more modern take on the original print and can be found in a range of non-traditional colors. 




 A bold print brings new life to these traditional chairs.








I love the look of mixing different patterns with the same color scheme.

There are so many ways to bring this fun print into your home, whether it be in a pillow, furniture piece, wall paper or artwork!  I am currently searching for the perfect ikat curtains for my dining area.

Follow us on Pinterest for more ideas and see our Ikat board!

-Jessica







No comments:

Post a Comment